Tuesday, October 26, 2010

(Sports) Replay, No Play...

So what’s with all of these sports media guys and gals talking about instant replay in baseball?  If not all then at least 99% of all of the people who are making this claim probably doesn’t even care for baseball.  Baseball enthusiasts believe one thing about that topic and that is, no instant replay.  Baseball is an all American sport and it’s one of the oldest sports in America.  There is so much rich history and so many records.  With instant replay you tend to take away some of the great moments in baseball history.  It makes some of baseball history invalid.  Because of the human element, there have been bad calls’ dating back to the late 1800’s where baseball was in its infancy.  I understand that technology is the present and the future and yes we have seen on replay the many bad calls that have been made throughout baseball but, it’s baseball. 

One argument I’ve heard time and time again is the length of the game of baseball and that with instant replay it may take too long.  Then there are others who say that managers coming out to argue take longer than an umpire viewing a questionable call on instant replay.  And that may very well be true.  BUT, one thing that I have noticed in my many years of watching the great sport of baseball is that the fans love when managers come out to argue despite however long it may take.  For or against the manager, at the park or on television, it is one of the excitements of baseball when a manager comes out to argue a questionable call.  Why would anyone want to take that away? 

I love the fact that umpires have their own strike zone, it makes the game interesting.  I love the fact that there is a human element to baseball, it makes the game interesting.  Imagine the baseball world with instant replay…  The sport would just not be as exciting.  It would consist of pure let’s just check the replay and there would be no exciting arguments, no one getting upset, nothing to talk about the next day at work, it would just be plain boring.  To some baseball is boring enough now imagine taking away the excitement of questionable calls that even instant replay doesn’t always get right.  Do not take away the human component of baseball with technology, its fun the way it is.  Let’s just play ball or better yet, “put me in coach, I’m ready to play”. 

19 comments:

  1. So many bad calls in baseball, we need instant replay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about in the very case in the picture you post. That blown call changed the history of baseball for the future. Galarraga's perfect game is not so perfect because of a blown call on the last out of the last inning at the end of the game. Instant replay would have been "perfect" in this "perfect" scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a follower and am happy that you change your blogs to different topics. I'm not too into sports but I have heard of all of the hype about instant replay. I don't agree with it because of what my husband says but if it will help the sport and sports officials make the right call, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took the words right out of my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baseball is so boring. U do have a point tho. Why make it even more boring with instant replay

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's no need for instant replay. The umpires may not always get it right but baseball is still better without it. You make valid points.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BASEBALL IS IN DIRE NEED OF INSTANT REPLAY. BASEBALL NEEDS TO GET WITH THE TIMES. TECHNOLOGY IS WHERE IS AT. I GET SICK OF BASEBALL WHEN I SEE A BLOWN CALL THAT HAPPENS TO OFTEN. IF THEY INTRODUCE INSTANT REPLAY I CAN WATCH A GAME MORE CALMLY AND NOT GET SICK OF A BAD CALL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. no replay just play play

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just leave replay out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm surprised I haven't really seen to many blown calls this post season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. IF IT AFFECTS THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME THEY SHOULD CONSIDER REPLAY.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Baseball is such a great sport

    ReplyDelete
  13. Timothy, you're right about there being a few too many bad calls but there are way more excellent calls that even I am amazed these officials make. Sadly, those calls go unheard of except of course if you watch the games. Will, that call will go in the history books of worst calls ever made. It's a sad situation and I fully support how the commissioner of baseball handled that situation. Jennifer, thank you for following. It's hard to fully explain why exactly I feel there shouldn't be instant replay in baseball other than the very few points I made in my original post. For example, I feel instant replay would slow down the game as in making it boring. Baseball guy, I'm assuming you're talking about the original post, if so thank you. Crook, thank you for your opinion. Steve, thank you for your opinion. Tom, thank you. Robert, thank you as well for your opinion. When the call goes for the other team, I almost feel the same way because it does get annoying and I think to myself, "how in the world did the umpire not see that? It was so blatant!" But in reality they are doing their job to the best of their ability, technology would definitely increase that ability but some can argue that steroids increases any athletes ability to do their jobs and I believe that is cheating. Are we asking the umpires to cheat on their jobs??? Kind of off the wall I know but, I had to put that in. Anonymous, thank you. Zip, thank you. Turner, You're right, there weren't too many blown calls this post season, that's great. Stan, They've been considering it for quite some time now and I hope that they keep it the way that it is. G, I love baseball so I agree with you it is such a great sport. Thank you everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you kidding me. There needs to be instant replay in baseball. It doesn't matter if it makes the sport boring or if it slows the sport down there needs to be instant replay. I am a baseball guy I love baseball and yes there needs to be instant replay in baseball. There are way too many mistakes and blown calls and what would it hurt to actually get the call right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's all about football right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adam, thank you for commenting especially since you are a baseball fan. The problem I see with instant replay as stated in my initial post are plentiful. Blown calls are going to be made, we all understand that, we all understand the human element of baseball and that no one is perfect but as we all have seen on plenty of occasions, most times, instant replay doesn't always get it right either. It's like the polygraph, it's not 100% accurate so why use it? Henry, you're right, football and basketball right? Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replay talks are in the works for baseball in this years winter meetings

    ReplyDelete
  18. look stop talking about replay and just fucking play.

    ReplyDelete